This is the art of Abe Partridge from Mobile, Alabama.
I left Mobile when I was 18 in pursuit of a theological education. I attended 4 bible colleges in 4 years... partly because I couldn't follow rules, partly because I knew better. I became a pastor of a small Independent Baptist Church in the Appalachians of Eastern Kentucky at 25 years old. When I was 27 years old I became acquainted with a horrible depression. I left the ministry and turned to Art. I have written songs and made paintings like these for years. Only after joining the military and going to war did I decide to begin sharing my art with the world. I never took a songwriting class, nor have I ever had an art class. I always just thought I was weird...
"Rethink preconceived notions.
Create new methods of survival.
Abe's artwork is made with roofing tar that is thinly applied to plywood, musical instruments, old damaged vinyl records, and whatever else he can stick tar on. It is cured for 30 days then he carves his images in the tar with a screwdriver or an ice pick. Finally, he paints the tar with acrylic paints and seals it with a clear gloss acrylic sealer.
ABE WENT PUBLIC WITH HIS ART IN FEBRUARY 2018
SINCE THEN, HIS ART HAS BEEN IN
• Mobile Museum of Art, Mobile, AL
• Alabama Contemporary Art Center - Urban Wild Exhibit, Mobile, AL
• Ashland Art Gallery, Mobile, AL
• Lupercalia Art Society, Mobile, AL
• University of South Alabama - Mary Elizabeth & Charles Bernard Rodning Gallery of Art, Mobile, AL 2019, 2023
• Blue Giraffe Gallery, Santa Rosa Beach, FL 2019
• 621 Gallery - Art of Resistance Exhibit, Tallahassee, FL
• Berea Arts Council Gallery, Berea, KY
• The Orphanage Gallery, Dayton, OH
• Healthy Rhythm Art Gallery, Montrose, CO
• InDo Nashville Art/Music showcase for the 2019 Americana Music Festival, Nashville, TN
• Gallery 378 - Lost: But Found Exhibit, Atlanta, GA
• Documentary on Alabama Public Television's Monograph (aired Jan 2020)
• Lower Alabama Arts Coalition - Andalusia, AL
• Louisiana Tech University - Bellocq Gallery in the F. Jay Taylor Visual Arts Center
• Monet Monet Gallery - Grayton Beach, FL 2020, 2022
• Finster Fest - Summerville, GA 2021, 2022. 2023
• Kentuck Art Festival - Northport, AL 2021
• Ballyhoo Fine Art Festival - Gulf Shores, AL 2022
• Love Hope Center for the Arts - Fayetteville, WV
• Alabama Contemporary Art Center - Mobile, AL - With Signs Following Exhibit - Jan 13 - May 20, 2023
• First Existentialist Congregation of Atlanta - Atlanta, GA 2023
• Gallery West - Macon, GA 2023
• Winthrop University Galleries - Rock Hill, SC - Rites Preserved Exhibit - August 21 - October 6, 2023
• Opelika Art Haus - Opelika, AL - October 5-8, 2023
• Best Mixed Media Artist - 2019 and 2021 Lagniappe Readers' Choice Awards
• First Place winner of Mobile Arts Council’s 2020 “The Throwdown”
• First Place winner of the Mixed Media award at the 2022 Ballyhoo Fine Arts Festival
• An AL.com Alabama Entertainer of the Year 2022
• ART appearance in the 2019 film Dr. Sleep (The sequel to Stephen King's The Shining). Abe's art, "The Cowboys", was on a t-shirt worn by actor Robert Longstreet.
• A large-scale mural is in the old Crystal Ice House (Hop Hounds Brew Pub & Dog Park) in Mobile, AL
• Art has been on the beer cans of Haint Blue Brewing Co., Mobile, AL
• Large-scale mural at Hatch Camp and Art Farm, Clayton, GA
• Official poster artist for 2019 South Sounds Music Festival, Mobile, AL
• Abe’s art is in private collections of Tyler Childers, Mike Wolfe (American Pickers), and Rick Hirsch (Wet Willie)
• Abe has also been a guest lecturer at high schools across the south, and at Eastern Kentucky University
• Art on Magic Hollow First Harvest Bourbon and CBD bottles, Irvine, KY
• Cover Art for Americana Folk artist, Charlie Parr’s new album, Last of the Better Days Ahead, released on the Smithsonian Folkways label in 2021
• Commissioned by Tyler Childers in 2022 to create a painting and 500 limited edition prints for Tyler Childers’ 2022 release, Can I Take My Hounds To Heaven?
PAINTINGS AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
TO SEE CURRENT INVENTORY OF ORIGINAL PAINTINGS AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE, PLEASE CONTACT ABE AT ALABAMAASTRONAUT@YAHOO.COM.
Join the Alabama Astronaut Art Club (at the menu link above) where Abe makes his original pieces available first.